Wednesday, February 14, 2007

“Calculate Your Wedding Emissions”

Oh dear god in heaven, I think my brain is melting. PortOvert.com has an on-line wedding “carbon” calculator for the environmentally conscientious bride and groom.

I like the idea of reducing our “carbon footprint”, but most weddings are not conducted with anything like “moderation” in mind. That’s why the average wedding has 164 guests and there are usually at least 3 women who will pay good money to buy a dress that not only will not be worn again but indeed, because they are hideous bridesmaid dresses can NEVER see the light of day again for fear of ridicule.

I wonder, however, in the case of the wedding carbon calculator, if they take into account the amount of CO2 that used to be removed from the atmosphere by wheat and sugarcane plants that are now sequestered into the ginormous cake only to be recycled by the various omnivores who will replenish the earth with nutritive waste a couple days later.

Now my wedding was probably not as carbon neutral as I’d like, but it did include people dressed as PIRATES, so I guess it all evens out in the end. I think you are quite aware of the negative correlation between the relative number of pirates and global warming .

Hey we did OUR part! More Pirate Weddings = Better Environment!

No comments: